Facts on Cute Orangutan, Native Mammals to Indonesia – Native animal to Indonesia, Orangutan has been considered great animal that earth has ever had. Unlike monkey, orangutan has more common of DNA to human reaching almost 97%. Having this characteristic, many people have considered this cute orangutan a special one. Orangutans are also known as intelligent and extremely patient mammals but they still have their wild animal side. They are also known to be very observant. In fact, many stories are heard about how they can escape the cage after having observed how the keepers lock and unlock the doors. Some of them even make good friends with human just like other human.
Orangutans have certain characteristics which make them different to other apes. For instance, the standard height for females is 1.2 meters and 1.5 meters for males. Their weight is around 48 to 55 kg for females and up to 130 for males. So the males are definitely lot bigger. Their life can span to more than 60 years. Just like other big mammals, they only give birth 1 or rarely 2 and it only happens once every few years. This is the reason why this animal is in the threat of extinction. In Indonesia, there are two different species, the Bornean and Sumatran orangutans.
Facts on Orangutan
- Despite being cute, orangutan is still considered a wild animal due to their wild side characteristics. In the wild, they are rather semi-solitary especially the adult males that spend more than 90% of their time being alone rather than together with their group
- Orangutans only live in two islands in Indonesia that include Sumatra and Borneo or Kalimantan today. But according to the research, 12.000 years ago, their habitat even reached the southern China.
- With their physical characteristics, orangutans are considered as the largest animals that dwell in the three. Mostly, they eat fruits and young leaves. But sometimes they also eat vine or termite. The adult orangutans spend most of their times in canopy while eating.
- For the male adults, they develop cheekpads as they grow which makes the heads bigger. In the wild, males start having cheekpads when they reach age of 30. The cheekpads are actually unique characteristics because once the males have it, they will not tolerate other adult males being in the same vicinity. And, they also begin to compete with other males to get to the females.
- Between the mother and young, they usually grow very intense relationship. For five years, the mothers carry the offspring. Then, they will take care of their young for at 6 to 8 years. They keep continue to be together in constant companion until the mothers give birth to another infant.
- According to various tests, orangutans are considered very small animals. They are able to perform various cognitive ability tests just like gorillas and chimpanzees. They are even considered skillful in terms of using versatile tool in captivity to search and access foods. In fact, cute orangutan can even be taught on how to use tools.